Tuesday 18 March 2014

Kaancha Aam diye Murgi: Chicken with raw mangoes and roasted spices


 As a child when I would devour Enid Blyton treats, I often wondered why the kids in her stories always seemed to be thrilled about summers. I had no clue why they chose a summer afternoon for a picnic — the blistering heat , the sour pong of sweat, the blinding sun, what the hell? . Of course, at that point I didn't consider that it was English summers that they were talking about. As for Calcutta summers, I hate them.
Summer is here and I do not need to tell you that I am not thrilled. 

Most people say that they eagerly wait for Summers for the mangoes. Not me. Nothing summer brings, not even succulent mangoes bursting with sweet juice, can make it seem endearing to me. I am not a crazy fan of mangoes. I enjoy my share but I am not crazy about it. But then again, raw mangoes are a whole different deal. That I am crazy about.

The only thing I look forward to on a hot summer afternoon is the Kancha Aamer Ombol ( a runny chutney of sorts made with raw mangoes and tempered with mustard, usually) and Aam Dal, Dal with raw mangoes in it. My mother makes sure that we have an inexhaustible stock of raw mangoes as long as it an be acquired or all hell would break loose. Yesterday though, I wanted to add raw mangoes to my chicken and came up with this recipe, it fiery, spicy, tangy and sweet and everyone loved it. In fact this week I am going to come up with recipes using raw mangoes, beyond the usual. Fingers crossed.

 

 Kaancha Aam diye Murgi: Chicken with raw mangoes and roasted spices


Ingredients

 Boneless chicken - 1 kg
Ginger-Garlic paste - 5-6 tbsp
Raw mango grated - 1 whole
Green chilies (finely chopped) - 3-4tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves - 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Mustard oil

To roast and grind together
Coriander seeds - 4tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp 
 


Method 

 Heat mustard oil in a kadhai. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a few minutes.

Add the grated raw mango, chopped green chilies, coriander leaves and the roasted spice mix. Fry the masala until oil separates and add the chicken.

Cook on high heat stirring rigorously until oil separates.

Add salt and sugar, cover and cook on low heat.


The chicken will cook in the juices and you'll know it's done when the juices have dried up and oil separates from the masala laced chicken 

Serve with steamed rice or Rotis.


1 comment: