Tuesday 17 June 2014

Belgian Stoemp Aux Carottess: Belgian Mashed Potatoes and Carrots

So, Germany won last night. And boy did they win. I was supporting Portugal, though. Ahem. Cristiano is kind of cute, no? Of course, I still like the Ronaldo who wore a yellow shirt better! Anyway, so here's kick starting the World Cup fever on Let's talk Food. The idea is to cook one dish from one world cup playing nation from each group...my favourite from each team that is.  Let me tell you I do not understand football but neither do I miss the opportunity to me part of any celebration. Why pass the World Cup madness?

I will go backwards and start with Group H.
Group H comprises Algeria, Belgium, Korea Republic and Russia. And I pick Belgium. My choice has nothing to do with their football prowess though. But Belgium is playing the World Cup after 12 years and that does call for some cheering! They are playing Algeria tonight. So, Go Belgium.

The recipe I am going to share with you guys today is what you can call Belgium's comfort food. Stoemp.
Belgian mashed potatoes. This version has some mashed carrots too. It's called Stoemp aux Carottess. And it's delicious. Stoemp is ubiquitous in Belgium and is best savoured with Boudin (Belgian blood sausages) but you can serve it with grilled chicken and I loved it just on toast too. Its a little chunky, rather than a creamy mash. And it is delicious.



I am a fan of mashed potatoes. I am crazy about mashed potatoes. My ultimate comfort food is Soft- cooked rice, mashed potato and obscene amount of butter, all mashed into a delicious muddle. Every time I return from a trip, this is the meal I demand. I like mashed potatoes the Bong style with mustard oil and green chilies as much as I like the classic English mash. And this one is only a new addition to my mashed potato list. I think I am soon going to do a post on different kinds of mashed potatoes! Say what?

Here goes!




Ingredients 
Boiled potatoes (skin removed) - 4 large
Boiled carrots - 2
Finely chopped onion - 1 medium
Finely chopped Garlic - 1 tsp
Finely chopped leek - 1/2 cup
Chicken stock - 1 cup
Heavy cream - 100 ml
Butter - 50 g
Grated nutmeg - 1 large pinch
Salt to taste
Coarsely ground pepper - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - A pinch



Method 
In a bowl mash the potatoes and carrots. The mash shouldn't be creamy, we want it a little chunky.

Heat butter in a pan, add the chopped garlic, onion and leek. Saute until they soften and are translucent. Add the chicken stock. Bring to boil.

Reduce heat and add the cream and season with salt and pepper. Simmer and reduce to half.

Stir in the nutmeg and remove from heat.

Add the sauce to the potato-carrot mix and mix well with a fork.

And your Stoemp Aux Carottes is ready.

Special touch: Top it with some bits of bacon fried in butter.


The recipe has been adapted primarily from http://www.food.com/recipe/stoemp-aux-poireaux-stoemp-met-prei-belgian-mashed-potatoes-121428 with inputs from few other sources

No comments:

Post a Comment