Saturday 22 November 2014

Chili Honey Fish Bites


 I have been sitting at my computer for an hour now wondering what I could share with you today - but words seem to be evading  me. May be because my brain is little too tired. I have been swamped with writing projects this past week and I feel exhausted. So today I'll get straight to the point and let the pictures speak! So here's presenting Chili Honey Fish Bites - Bekti fillet cubed laced in a sticky hot and sweet sauce. 
This dish, also the version with chicken instead of fish, is one of my favourites. I love the coquetry between honey and chili. I love it as a starter and even as main course with fried or steamed rice. 

By the way, this time next week I will be in Pune, Maharashtra raring to set off on a Konkan trail with my dear friend Angona. Just the thought of all the Malvani food I am going t wolf down is making me slobber. And I promise to bring back loads of food stories and a few smashing recipes! 




Ingredients 
Bekti fillet cut in cubes - 700 g 
Juice of two limes 
Dry whole red chilies - 10
Finely chopped garlic - 1 tbsp 
Grated ginger - 1 tsp 
Chopped spring onions - 3 tbsp 
Soy sauce - 1 tbsp 
Honey - 100 ml 
Salt to taste 
Fresh cracked pepper to taste 
Sesame seeds to sprinkle as garnish
Vegetable Oil 



Method 

Marinate the fish with salt, lime juice and fresh cracked pepper for an hour.

De-seed 8 of the 10 dry whole red chilies. Simply cut one end and shake the seeds out. Then let all the chilies soak in warm water for half an hour. Grind it into a fine paste. Reserve.

Dredge the marinated fish cubes in flour and fry them to a crisp gold.

Work fast with the sauce.  Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, grated ginger and chopped spring onion. Fry until the garlic is golden.

Add the red chili paste and fry for another minute or two. Add the soy sauce and give it all a good swirl and stir. Deglaze the pan with the honey.

Now add the fish and give the wok a good toss to coat the fish in the sauce. Adjust seasoning. Once the honey begins to caramelize, add a large pinch or two of coarsely cracked pepper. Take it off heat

Sprinkle sesame seeds and some chopped spring onion leaves and serve hot, either as a starter or aromatic steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment