Sunday 9 November 2014

Strapatsada: Greek style scrambled eggs in tomato


I must has said this before and I am saying it again. I love Greek food - the fresh flavours, the creamy feta, the earthy notes of the dill and the spicy warmth of oregano, the coquetry between garlic and lemon.  A couple of years ago my brother and I had almost taken a trip to Greece. We had planned for months, chalked out an itinerary, made inquiries, informed our friends in Greece about our imminent trip, made them block dates, and finally when all was done, we decided to go to Italy instead. Why? That is another story. And though the trip to Italy was phenomenal I often wonder how our Greek holiday might have turned out.
It is heartbreaking to think that I was so close to chomping on a fat souvlaki role dripping tahini sauce and meaty juices while navigating the streets of Athens. Soon some day I hope. O

But we live in a world that is shrinking and how. So I do not need to be in Greece to eat Greek food. So this morning, and it was a beautiful morning, sunny and cheerful, I wanted to cook a special breakfast for the family. Sunday after all. But then I also wanted to catch up on some pending work and I didn't want to spend a long time in the kitchen.So, I decided to make eggs, scrambled eggs. But not just any. The other day while reading up on Greek Food. I came across this dish. Strapatsada. It is basically scrambled eggs in pureed tomato. seasoned with salt, pepper and a little oregano.

This was going to be awesome. This is one of the simplest dishes you will make. But the flavours are so fresh this and delicious. With a couple of slices of bread, some fruits and fruit juice, it made for a healthy, sumptuous.


Ingredients 

Large eggs - 2
Tomatoes - 2 (large)
Salt and pepper to taste
Dried Oregano- 1/4 tsp
A pinch of dried parley.
Olive oil - 2 tbsp


Method 

Puree the tomatoes in a food processor. Heat olive oil in a pan and add the puree.

Once the liquids dry up and oil begins to appear around the edges. Add the whisked eggs.

Add salt and pepper followed by the oregano and parsley.

Cook on low heat until done. scrambling the eggs with a spoon or spatula. My touch a dollop of garlic butter on top!

PS. You can also add Feta if you like.


1 comment:

  1. The dish has a nice blend of herbs and tanginess. I can't wait for the morning to try this, will let you know how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete